1. ‘Jeans’ were named after Genoese sailor from italy because they wore clothes made of a blue fabric of cotton, and linen and wool blend. The word ‘denim’ came from the name of a French material that is found in a town called De Nimes in France.
2. Initially jeans were not made from Cotton. In the 18th century, as trade and cotton plantations boomed, cotton become the apt choice. Workers wore jeans because the material was very durable. It was usually dyed with indigo, which was taken from plantations in the Americas and India.
3. In 1853, German Hewish dry goods merchant Levi Strauss started selling blue jeans under the name ‘Levis’ in San Francisco. In 1891, Levi Strauss & Co’s patent for jeans with rivets went public and many companies began to adopt a similar concept.
4. During the Second World War, jeans (called ‘overalls’ at that time) got introduced to the world by American Soldiers, who usually wore them when they were off-duty.
5. The late Hollywood actor James Dean popularised jeans when he starred in the movie, Rebel without a Cause. Thus, Jeans became a symbol of youth rebellion during the 1950s in America. Teens who wore Jeans, were banned from restaurant, Theatre and Schools.
6. Skinny Jeans – These look best on slender women with long legs. Because of their clingy nature, they accentuate the hips and bottom. Boot-CUT Jeans – These are tight till the knee and then flare out slightly till the hem. The wider hem takes the attention away from a larger waist, hips and things. Low-Rise Jean – Also Called low riders’, these sit just below your hips. If you want to flaunt your flat stomach, these are the jeans or you. Boyfriend Jeans – These are perfect for women who are rectangular in shape. The loose leg, Slouchy waist and large pockets are flattering on healthier bodies. Capris – These jeans end at the mid-calf or just below the calf, and are very popular among women of all age groups. They are usually meant to be worn in the summer.
7. Tips For Buying Good Fitting Jeans – Avoid focusing on just size. You need to pay attention to the fit too.
– Don’t Choose jeans that are too bulky or baggy.
– Make sure that back pockets don’t add bulk or make your bottom look too large because of any embroidered designs or embellishments.
8. May 20 is considered to be the birthday of blue jeans.
9. In India, trousers made of denim which were worn by the sailors of Dhunga came to be known as dungarees.
10. Jeans are the world’s most sought after casual wear. Over 200 pairs of jeans can be made from a bale of cotton.